Wednesday, December 2, 2009

13 Years

My favorite story about my grandma goes like this: when we first moved to Columbus we actually lived in a hotel (not quite like Eloise at The Plaza.) Well it was the summertime so mostly we went to the park and then watched tv when it got to hot to go out. I had seen many commercials for Little Debbie snack cakes and I was convinced that "all Americans ate Ho-Ho's." Everytime one of these commercials came on I would make a grand production of pointing it out. Well even as a kid once got an idea in my mind, I couldn't get it out! I had made up my mind that we were going to take a little walk across 161 to the closest convenience store to get some (for those of you who don't live in Columbus, picture the busiest road across the middle of town and that's 161.) My grandma would literally do anything for us and after days of plotting my scheme I convinced her to take us over there. To this day honestly i'm not sure if my mamma just had crazy faith in her guardian angels, didn't really realize the risk involved or was trying to teach me a lesson in courage?
I will tell this story to my grandkids someday and recall it the same way I did at her funeral all those years ago. And I hope they will look at me with the same admiration that I always looked at her with:)

No comments: