Sunday, November 22, 2009

Alone

I'm not good at being alone. I don't pretend to be. I prefer to always have someone around me, even if I don't want to talk to that person, I want there to be a warm body somewhere nearby.
I think it's because i've always grown up with a strong sense of community and the credo that "we can't do anything alone, everything is done better with a companion." This can apply to all relationships - work, romantic, friendship and family.
So here's the thing: i'm learning to be alone. I'm learning that it's okay to spend a Saturday night alone. That Friday, Saturday, Sunday - they're just like any other night. There's so much pressure to be constantly doing activities and not doing them alone, i've been conditioned to think that if i'm not around someone else that must mean no one wants to be around me. I'm going to bash this lie with everything I have in me. There are tons (okay maybe not tons) but a few people that would love to spend time with me. You just can't always be around those people!
And it's good to be alone. To replenish your inner energy. To discover and think and find the things that you're good at, so that when you're with those people you have something to bring to the table that will make them feel good too.
Now i'm not saying i'm not going to complain about being alone, but I really am going to try and be better at it.

No comments: